Tuesday 21 February 2012

Know Your Meme

I'm currently kicking it on day 3 of a 4-day weekend thanks entirely to the provincial government. In Saskatchewan we don't have Presidents' Day, obviously, but the gov't has declared the 3rd Monday of Feb to be "Family Day", because why not? Then, for Tues, my "Earned Day Off" which I earned by doing nothing more than having scheduled "days on". Spent the weekend making puzzles, seeing a neat flick called "Pina" (see it! Not only will you enjoy it, but it's in my constructorial interest to have PINA and director WIM Wenders become cross-worthy names), checking out the Pile of Bones Brass Band, and paying my respects to John Carr, a fine local muso who died tragically.

Pretty bushed, but glad to have this puzzle ready to go. Was cluing a wide-open style 11x13 themeless for this week, but I became increasingly dissatisfied with the fill the more I looked at it. I had come up with and built a grid around the theme entries in this puzzle earlier, but shelved it because I wasn't sure the entries were strong enough. I still don't, but I think the idea is fun, I'm pleased with the grid, and, most importantly, I've wanted to do a social media meme puzzle like this since BEQ's brilliant "25 Random Things About Me" puzzle from a few years back. Next week, maybe a "Shit Crossword Constructors Say" puzzle?

More words, crossed and otherwise, next Tuesday.

Puzzle: What do you think you're doing?
Rating: XW-PG
Download the PDF and PUZ files here, or solve or download the Across Lite puzzle and/or software from the Java app below.

No comments: